Job Title: Machine Operator/Saw Supervisor Title: Production Sup.
Department: Machine Status: Non-Exempt
A Machine/Saw Operator is responsible for knowledge of machines and tools including their design, uses, repair and maintenance as they relate to the machining and saw functions.
A Machine/Saw Operator is required to have knowledge of blueprints to determine required machining method and equipment. Must be able to read print, perform needed operation, and be able to verify conformance of finished product to the print. Must be able to lay out, position and machine parts, components or structures according to specifications and tolerances. An Operator may drill, cut, thread pipe, notch angles, bend bar, load and unload trucks. Must be able to read detailed prints and understand automatic and manual saw set-ups.
A Machine/Saw Operator will also be responsible for his/her safety and the safety of those around him/her. The Machine/Saw Operator must be certified to operate a forklift and crane and demonstrate an above average safety record. Additional duties include maintaining a clean workstation before/during/after daily production.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Read blueprints – analyze drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly and machining operations
- Perform machining and cutting techniques over a lengthy time span
- Be able to use multiple machines
- Be comfortable with set up and operation of manual and automatic saws.
- Examine products or work to verify conformance to specifications
- Maintain appropriate records, reports
- Clean work area
- Other duties as assigned
- Use of various machining equipment including drill press, notcher, iron worker, hydrabender, and a variety of saws.
- Use of a variety of hand tools.
- Understanding of shop math, the ability to read and interpret blue prints, and reading micrometers, calipers and tape measure.
- Push/pull/ lift 10-60 lbs of materials
- Use of hand tools
- Good hand/eye coordination
- Manual dexterity
- Be able to bend, stretch, twist or reach
- Be mechanically inclined
- Self-motivated (independent)
- Be able to operate crane and forklifts as needed
Special Working Conditions
- 8 hour shift (some overtime may be required)
- Dirty environment
- Noisy environment
- Some temperature extremes
- Standing for long periods of time
Essential job functions:
- Attendance at work is an essential job function.
- Using a manual or automatic saw to cut a variety of materials to specific tolerances or sizes.
- Read detailed prints and understand saw operations.
- Work in a safe and responsible manner.
Receipt of the Machine / Saw Operator Job Description indicates you have received a copy of this job description. It does not mean that you are limited to only these job requirements. As an Operator, you may be asked to perform other duties as assigned.
Any interested applicants can apply by emailing their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.